Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Taj Mahal


August 6, 2008, Agra, India. (Taj Mahal). We left the hotel at 5:30 AM just to see the Taj. It is so large from what I have seen in pictures. It was really fantastic and really special. What I enjoyed the most was the intricate details of the inlaid stones. To really understand the details of the Taj, one must go to a local stone shop and see how long it takes to make a 1200 piece inlay design. It takes two weeks to do a one foot by one foot design. Now, imagine this art work is all over the Taj Mahal. I highly recommend visitng the golden triangle (Dehli, Jaipur, Agra, and Dehli). It is a fabulous trip.
We visited the fort Itmat-ud-Daula. This is another red fort put up by a moghal’s. The red forts are made of red sandstone and are pretty spectacular. I finally have come to peace with the beggars and people hawking wares at the forts and monuments. I learned how to politely say “No” and then give a wave of the hand. Some people still really stress over the high pressure sales and the crippled people begging for money. I don’t stress over it. I remember my first day in Delhi and how visiting an over crowded street with vendors, poor people, dogs, cows and chaos every where. caused me sensory overload for a brief period of time (thank you McDonalds for twenty minutes of peaceful regrouping time). I want to go back to the same street to visit the Jain temple to see how I would handle it the second time around.
We are now at the fabulous Taj Mahal, Delhi hotel. An outstanding five star hotel that is incredible in service and food. I highly recommend this hotel. After tomorrow’s series of lectures we have a chance to meet with our partner teachers. The next day is our final farewell dinner and I am off to Seattle, Washington. I hope that I get at least one more posting in before I return. I have traveled with a great group of people and with a great organization. This has been a learning experience of a life time. I am excited to compare the grade level standards of India to the grade level standards in my district.

No comments: